To me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I believe that a great breakfast can ensure that we get the most out of the day ahead. I believe that a good breakfast can really set you up for the day.
For breakfast, I like to have a healthy filling meal that also tastes great! I have oat porridge for breakfast almost every morning. I think that this tradition comes from my Russian Mum and I love a good creamy porridge especially when it’s topped with fresh fruit.
To keep up with my new year resolutions, I’ve been making different healthy oat porridges at home and adding lots of fresh fruit. The hero Buzz Aldrin had oats before his moon walk, so just like him I also like to start my day with the ‘mighty oat’ and make myself a bowl of healthy oat porridge.
Quaker Oats have sent me a few sachets of oats that have just returned from space! – which they sent up to space and back to celebrate the fact that Buzz Aldrin ate porridge ahead of his moon walk. So yesterday I whipped up a bowl of this lovely super fruity oat porridge, the recipe is suggested by the lovely people at Quaker Oats and I just followed their recipe. The recipe is easy, quick, healthy and absolutely delicious! So that’s it, breakfast was sorted for the day. After having breakfast, I felt so inspired, so I decided to try something new for the first time. I’ve been wanting to try a Zumba class for a long time now, but never got around to it. To be honest, I’ve sort of been avoiding it by telling myself yes I want to go but what if the people in the class move too quick and the moves are difficult to follow, and I’ll be the awkward one in the group? But I finally decided to get out of my comfort zone and do it, so I looked up the times online and went. The class was sooo much fun, no I did not end up being the awkward one in the group and yes I was able to follow the moves and actually have fun!
From now on I’ve decided that I’ll be going to my usual Yoga classes 3 times a week, and Zumba classes twice a week. So I’ve tried a Zumba class for the first time after enjoying a bowl of Quaker mighty oats*. Are you going to try this recipe to achieve great things during your day? What things do you want to achieve/try for the first time?
Star Gazers Wake Up Porridge
- 1 sachet Oats
- 180 ml milk
- 120 grams melon
- 6 blackberries
- 6 black grapes
- 6 raspberries
- 1 tsp honey or agave optional
- 6 blueberries
- Using a small star cutter (approx. 4cm point-to-point), create 5 hearts from the melon slices; set aside. OR using a round cookie cutter, create a melon circle, then arrange the berries around it to create a star.
- Alternatively, if you're using the star cookie cutter method, arrange the blackberries and black grapes around the inside of a larger star cutter (approx. 11.5cm point-to-point), pressing them tightly together if necessary. Fill the centre with raspberries and set aside.
- Place the oats in a microwaveable bowl with the milk. Heat according to pack instructions. Stir in honey or agave if using and spoon into a serving bowl.
- Use a fish slice to lift the cutter filled with fruit onto the porridge; remove cutter. Add blueberries to star points, and melon stars and serve immediately.
This post is in collaboration with Quaker Oats. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Little Sunny Kitchen happen. All opinions are my own.