This fudgy chocolate cake with orange frosting is perfect for Halloween!
Halloween cake ideas
This cake is super moist and very chocolatey, it’s perfect for any time of the year! But the fun decorations are perfect for a spook-tacular Halloween!
Halloween is one of my favourite holidays as it means that I can get creative in the kitchen, and bake lots of spooky treats! You can always come up with something new for Halloween. Make ghosts, pumpkins, ghouls, zombies, witches and wizards! Speaking of witches, have you seen my Halloween Wicked Witch Finger Cookies? They look so realistic and they’re very popular on the blog!
What are you dressing up as this year? I don’t usually dress up (boring I know) and I’m still not sure what are our plans for Halloween, but we have decorated the house and I will baking lots of fun treats!
This year I decided to share with you my favourite chocolate cake recipe, but decorated with Halloween colours and fun! The cake is very chocolatey and fudgy, the sponge is super moist as it’s soaked with orange juice, and the chocolate orange combination is extremely delicious.
To decorate the cake I used orange and black frosting, and made cute pumpkins on it. The cake does kind of bring the scary level down a bit, as the pumpkins are not really spooky, they’re cute actually. And that made me fall in love with this cake. I made cute smiling pumpkins with the frosting, but you can always make different faces and probably something that’s a bit scary!
Give this wonderful chocolate orange cake a try, and once you put the cake together you’ll get a fantastic Halloween cake on hands. I love it and I know you will too!
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make!
Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Halloween Chocolate Orange Cake
- 1 3/4 cups 220g all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup 350g granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup 65g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup 240ml milk
- 1/2 cup 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup 240ml water
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- food colouring
- Orange essence for the orange frosting
To soak the cake sponge
- 1 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180c and prepare a grease cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk together with the oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients and the water, but do not over mix. You will notice that the batter is very thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of the cake.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter with the caster sugar, cream and vanilla (or orange extract). Add in food colouring and mix very well. You can also add salt to taste.
- Let cake cool down completely before getting in out. After you get it out, cut it in half, soak each half with 1/2 cup of orange juice and frost it.