This bread is tall, puffy, and soft! But it isn’t too soft, it’s just right! In this bread, you will basically find everything that you may need in a homemade bread loaf. I added a little bit of oats and wheat germ just to make it healthier but you can also add different kinds of seeds if you wish. (Flaxseed, chia seeds)
Let me tell you the secret to the beautiful crispy crust Just add a handful of ice cubes to a shallow oven tray and place it to the bottom of your oven. While baking, it will release steam and give your loaf a good rise and a crispy crust!
Classic Bread Loaf
- 700 grams bread flour
- 50 grams oats
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 15 grams instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450 ml lukewarm water
- Add the flour, oats, wheat germ, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Then add the yeast into a small cup along with a little bit of lukewarm water and 1 tsp of sugar and set aside to a warm place until it gets bubbly (this should take a couple of minutes).
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and the yeast when it gets bubbly. Slowly drizzle in about half of the water and mix until the mixture starts to form a rough dough. Continue adding in more water until all of the flour is incorporated and you have a workable dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic and when rolled into a ball it springs back if you gently press it with your finger.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to a bowl and place your ball of dough in it. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise until approximately double in size, this will take about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove your dough from the bowl, lightly flour your work surface and gently knock back the dough. Give your dough a quick second kneading.
- Form the dough into a rough loaf shape. Place the dough into a lightly greased large loaf tin, and leave to rise again for a further 30 minutes covered with a tea towel.
- Preheat your oven to 200º. Gently flour the surface of your loaf and add two or three slashes with a very sharp knife (optional). Then to the bottom of your oven add a handful of ice cubes to a shallow oven tray. The ice cubes will release steam and give your dough a good rise and your loaf a nice crispy crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.