These custard chocolate eclairs will melt your heart!
For me, eclairs are heaven on a plate! I love the crisp buttery shell of the eclair that is filled with rich and smooth vanilla cream or custard, and dipped in good quality melted chocolate. Eclairs are the kind of dessert that I love to have for breakfast in the morning along with my morning coffee, I like to snack on them in the afternoon, and I like to have them for dessert after dinner!
I also thought that eclairs were romantic desserts, I mean they’re sort of time consuming but the results are always worth all of the time and the effort. They’re the kind of desserts that you can say “I love you” with! Especially when they’re decorated with cute little hearts and sprinkles!
Love is in the air, and the travelling experts at Expedia decided to celebrate it with a group of food bloggers by asking them to cook up a meal that is inspired by one of the 2 most romantic destinations in the world, France and Italy!
I chose France, and that’s why I’m sharing this wonderful French recipe with you today! I’ve been to France many times before, and I honestly think that it really is the most romantic country in the world. Everything about this beautiful country is romantic, and that includes their architecture, their nature, and of course their food!
Now back to the eclairs, seriously you guys, this is THE BEST dessert ever! Think of how crispy and light the shells are, how creamy and delicious the custard is, and how sweet and lovely the chocolate is! Now you have to excuse me, as I need to go and bake one more batch of these eclairs, and while I’m away do yourself a favour and book your summer holiday to France through Expedia!
- For the choux pastry
- 120 ml water
- 50 g butter
- 65 g plain flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- For the filling
- 1 cup of custard
- For the icing
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 50 g icing sugar
- To make the choux pastry, pour the water into a saucepan and add the butter on medium heat. when the butter melts, bring to a boil. Add in all the flour and set aside.
- Stir quickly until the flour has blended in with the liquid and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and makes a soft ball.
- Leave the mixture to cool slightly, start by beating in the eggs. The more air you can incorporate, the lighter is the pastry.
- Spoon the paste into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle and pipe finger lengths. Before baking, sprinkle over a few drops of cold water.
- Bake the eclairs for about 20 minutes on 200c.
- Leave to cool on wire rack.
- Fill each eclair with custard by inserting the tip of a pipping bag into the eclair in 3 places (the ends and the middle) by squeezing in the custard until it almost starts to come out.
- To make icing: Boil water in a saucepan, and melt the chocolate by putting it in a bowl with butter and water. Stir until it melts. Add icing sugar, and stir.
- Using a knife smooth the melted chocolate over the top of each eclair and leave it to set.
Thanks to Expedia for commissioning this recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.