So I got a nice organic cauliflower head that I got from my Dad’s farm, a couple of fresh tomatoes, some shredded mozzarella cheese, and decided to bake cauliflower crust calzones for Â dinner. I made my own tomato sauce (Fried the tomatoes with some olive oil, mint leaves, a clove or garlic, and a pinch of salt) as I don’t like buying ready made tomato paste/sauce. My family loved the crusty calzones, they’re healthy yet full of flavour! We will definitely be making them again sometime next week!
You can fill your Calzone with different fillings… Mushrooms, chillies, onions, cheddar, pepperoni… or whatever filling you may like!
Cauliflower Crust Calzone
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- tomatoes or homemade tomato paste
- Cut cauliflower head to small pieces and process in a food processor.
- Transfer processed cauliflower paste to a medium bowl and microwave for 15 minutes or until soft and cooked.
- Using a tea towel squeeze out the moisture in the cauliflower paste. (Make sure you squeeze out as much moisture as you can to get crispy calzones)
- In a medium sized bowl mix the cauliflower paste with an egg, salt, pepper and rosemary. (You can also add any other herbs or spices that you like)
- Preheat oven to 220Â°.
- On a lightly greased baking tray press out the cauliflower mix into circles and bake for 10 minutes.
- After you get them out of the oven, add mozzarella and tomato sauce to each calzone and carefully lift one half of the calzone using a rubber spatula to cover the filling.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.