A layered super moist chocolate chip banana crumb cake that you will fall in love with at your first bite!
Hi there, I’m sorry I haven’t been posting many recipes lately but ever since I got engaged it became very difficult for me to cook/bake, take photos of the food, and write the recipes to post on my blog! I got engaged at the end of November last year (2014), and in the past 2 months me and my fiancé have been really busy preparing for our wedding (Setting a wedding date, booking a venue, buying furniture, looking for a wedding dress, drafting a guest list, planning the honeymoon, and the list goes on…) which is sort of stressful especially when we both have full time jobs, but it’s also fun! AND WE’RE VERY EXCITED!
I also have been away for the past 3 weeks, my sister had a baby so I visited her in Switzerland and I also went to England for some wedding shopping 😉 So after I got back home, the first thing that I wanted to do was BAKE, I had some bananas so a banana coffee/crumb cake sounded like an amazing idea!
So let’s talk about this super delicious, ultra moist banana cake layered with melted chocolate and cinnamon brown sugar streusel. I mean if you love someone, please go and bake them this cake!!
1. You need ripe bananas that are easy to mash.
2. Creamy butter + yogurt + mashed bananas = A super moist fluffy cake.
3. Careful not to over mix the batter if you want a moist fluffy cake.
4. Layer the cake by layering half of the batter, then layer half of the streusel. And repeat.
For this crumb cake I used a 9 inch round baking pan, but a square baking pan will work just fine (8×8 or 9×9). The original recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction called for adding walnuts or pecans to the streusel, but I chose not to add nuts this time. I’m pretty sure that would taste amazing though!
This cake is very easy to make, even my 4 years old niece helped me with it! Kids love it when they get to help with baking!! Oh and the taste, the taste…… all I’m gonna say is that everyone LOVED it, and there were no leftovers for the next day! 😉
* I recommend eating this crumb cake while still a bit warm and the chocolate is melted
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb CakePrint Pin Rate
- 1 and 1/2 cups 190g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp 75g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup 100g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup 60g natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup 50g light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 135g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180c degrees. And grease a 9inch round baking pan (but you can also use a 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon). Set aside.
- Beat the butter (room temperature) with a mixer on high speed until creamy then add the sugar and beat again. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract and beat on a medium speed. Add the mashed bananas and the yogurt and beat until creamy. Stir in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined (make sure not to over mix if you want a fluffy cake)
- For the streusel, combine all streusel ingredients in a bowl, and then start layering the cake by layering half of the batter into your baking pan, then layer half of the streusel, repeat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the centre of the cake is done. Allow cake to slightly cool for 10-15 minutes then cut into pieces and serve. It is recommended to consume this cake warm and within 3 days of baking.
More delicious banana recipes!