Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without mince pies!
Every Christmas we make a lot of mince pies, we usually got the store bought fruit mince and baked our own mince pies, but for the past 3 years my Mum started making her own fruit mince, which definitely tastes better, it’s healthier, and it makes the whole house smell like Christmas!
So today I’m sharing my Mum’s fruit mince recipe with you, and next week I will be posting the mince pies recipe. So stay tuned!
When making fruit mince make sure to pick naturally sweet apples, and try not to add any sugar. We don’t usually add any sugar, because the apple juice is already sweetened and we always try to choose sweet apples. But if you taste the mince and think that it’s too sour, you can add 1-2 tbsp of sugar.
This recipe makes a lot of mince, so if you don’t use up all of it this year, you can always store it in steriliser jars and use it next year!
- 600 grams apple cubed
- 200 grams raisins
- 100 grams dried cranberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp dried ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp dried ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground gloves
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- zest of 1 orange optional
- 2 cups 500ml apple juice
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- Combine the apples, raisins, cranberries, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, zest of an orange, and apple juice in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, while stirring occasionally so it does not burn.
- You can add more apple juice if the mixture becomes too dry and fruit is still not soft enough.