All natural (no food colouring) red velvet cupcakes with vanilla frosting…
Since Valentine’s day is just around the corner, I decided to bake something that is red and romantic!
Did you guys know that Valentine’s day this year is going to be on a saturday? Yay for celebrating on a weekend! I still don’t know what me and my fiancé are doing on Valentine’s day though, but I guess we still have time to plan something out. What are your plans for Valentine’s day this year? 🙂
So let me tell you about these beautiful cupcakes, they are ALL natural, which means I haven’t used any food colouring, they contain beet (Yay for using veggies in desserts!), they are super super moist as I added brown sugar, yogurt, and butter, they are colourful, and most importantly they’re delicious!
You don’t need a mixer for this recipe, in fact, I almost never use a mixer when I make muffins as over-mixing can result into a heavy texture that you won’t be happy with. And for the bright red batter, I roasted beets in the oven (on 180c for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until they’re very soft to the touch), I let them cool as they are very hot once you take them out of the oven, I removed the skin, placed them in a food processor until smooth to make the puree (with a little bit of water), and finally added the puree to my batter.
As for the frosting I used my favourite vanilla frosting just because it is so simple and easy to make, you can find it in my other recipe Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting. And I decorated my cupcakes with dried raspberries and fresh slices of strawberries.
All Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups 150g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 50g granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup 25g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp unsweetend cacao
- 1/4 cup 55g salted butter, melted
- 1 roasted beet root
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 60g yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
- Preheat oven to 200c degrees. Grease your muffin pan with oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients: flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cacao, and salt together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the egg, add the yogurt and vanilla. Then add the roasted beet puree (to roast the beet: wrap in foil and place in the oven at 180c for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until they're soft to the touch. To make a puree simply place the beet in a food processed with water until smooth and it should come out as a smooth puree). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together until no pockets of flour remain. Do not overmix. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, by filling 3/4 of each tin. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- For frosting follow this link (https://www.littlesunnykitchen.com/classic-chocolate-cupcakes/) and I decorated my cupcakes with fresh slices of strawberries and dried raspberries.